days gone by.....

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Making the Best of a Vanilla Bean


So I bought a vanilla bean. They aren't cheap ... but I am! I decided to make the most of it. I cut it in half.

With one half I replenished my vanilla sugar supply. With the other half I decided to make my own vanilla extract!

All you do is put half the bean in 3/4 C Vodka (use the cheap stuff), cover tightly, steep for 6 mos

I marked the calendar and can't wait to see how it turns out!
~~~~~~
Having vanilla sugar on hand is heaven! Once you start using it, you'll be hooked. I use it in hot tea, pancake mix, sprinkled on sugar cookies ...

All you do is put half the bean in 2 C sugar, cover tightly, wait approx 3 weeks. Then just keep replenishing the sugar as you use it (leave the bean in and shake it up). The bean is good for about a year.

I love making my own "concoctions"! They're easy to make and cheaper & fresher than store bought.

Enjoy!

No comments: