days gone by.....

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Homemade Sauerkraut Recipe


Got this from a friend who swears by it! So I thought I'd give it a try. I love experiments! So here's the Homemade Sauerkraut recipe..

1 small head of cabbage
2 teaspoons of pickling salt
1 teaspoon of white vinegar
3 cups boiling water


*Clean and sterilize 2 one quart jars *remove outer leaves and either chop or shred the cabbage (I added some shredded carrot for color) *press into jar pretty tight *add salt and vinegar *pour boiling water over until 1/4 from rim *run a butter knife around cabbage to remove air bubbles *place lids and rings on loosely because it will overflow *place on towel and store for 2 weeks

Once it has worked itself and looks "done" then tighten lid.

That's it. I just canned these today... so I have two weeks of waiting. We'll do brats on the grill and try it out!

I'll keep ya posted!!

No comments: